Monday, July 14, 2014

Corn Tortilla Stacks

My family and I eat a Tex Mex meal at least once a week.  When I was making the menu for this week I realized that I had a can of black beans and some corn tortillas in the pantry.  I decided to make these tortilla stacks for a quick weeknight option.  The kids love this recipe and it is easy, what more could I want on a Monday!

Yes, I am that kind of mom that makes a weekly menu so that I don't have to think about what I have in the fridge or the pantry.  I like to be prepared and don't want to run to the store every other night to get a few ingredients to make dinner.  Getting your kids to help in making the menu is great too.  I usually ask the boys to pick a night and it seems if I do that then they are more willing to try a new recipe I make later that week.  I used to be diligent with our weekly menu to include a Meatless Monday option but after a month or so I got kind of loose with the menu and would just include one meatless option any day of the week.

Corn Tortilla Stacks
Adapted from: Martha Stewart's Tortilla Pie
Serves: 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes

Ingredients
12 corn tortillas
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp cumin
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinse and drained
1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
6 oz bag of baby spinach
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese

Optional toppings:
Sour cream
Salsa
Avocado

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment or foil, set aside.
Heat oil in skillet, add chopped onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until soft.  Add the cumin, pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  Add the tomato paste and stir again to make sure the paste is distributed evenly throughout the onion.  Once thoroughly combined add the garlic, black beans and corn.  Cook until the beans and corn are warmed through, just a few minutes.  Add the spinach by the handful and stir.  Once the spinach is wilted, add a few more handfuls and repeat until all spinach has been added.

Place 4 tortillas on the prepared pans.  Add about 1/4 cup filling onto each tortilla, sprinkle each with cheese just to cover filling.  Place another tortilla on top and gently press down to distribute the filling evenly.  Repeat the process with the filling, cheese and another corn tortilla.

In the end, you should have 3 corn tortillas and 2 layers of filling for each stack.  You may sprinkle each stack with the remainder of the cheese or place in the oven without the topping.  Place in the oven for about 15-20 or until the top starts to brown.
Serve immediately.

 *Note: I highly recommend getting the tomato paste in the tube.  You will use it more than you think and it stays fresh longer than the paste in the can.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I'm gonna try it out later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night for friends with picky teens. It was a hit. Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you tried this Teri and everyone loved it. Thanks for taking the time to comment too.

      Delete