Sunday, July 13, 2014

Fantastic Brownies

First, before I get into the nitty gritty of the recipe I want to talk about my preferences when I bake.
I like to use the least amount of dishes.  Most of the time I hate to bake because I don't feel like cleaning up.  This is a one bowl recipe so win, win.  Also, when I bake I like to use parchment paper.  I don't like to grease my pans because sometimes it will leave a greasy residue.  I am including a picture of my favorite brand of parchment which can be found in Bloomingfoods or Goods for Cooks in Bloomington.  This brand is unbleached and seems to be more pliable than the Reynolds brand I use to buy. 




Lastly I like to use unsalted butter all the time. My family rarely uses salt and so I buy the sticks of generic unsalted butter for all my recipes, then I can salt to my liking if necessary.  Now on to the recipe.....

I have been using the same brownie recipe for years now and I have kept this label off the Nestle cocoa box.  You would think by now that I would have it memorized but I keep the recipe handy in the cabinet right next to my vanilla.  I frequently use two other variations of this recipe, one using instant espresso and the other with toffee bits (see below for variations).

These brownies are of the thinner, fudgier variety.  I make this recipe when I want to make my fluffy peanut butter frosting (recipe soon) or a trifle.  I plan to use bits of this batch in my first attempt at ice cream.

Recipe: Chewy Cocoa Brownies, original recipe by Nestle
Servings: 24 brownies
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 18-25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp. water
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper. 
Cut the butter into large chunks and place in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup.  Microwave in 20 second intervals until melted.  Usually I can do this for about a minute and everything will be melted.   Set aside to cool as you start to measure out some other ingredients.  Combine the sugar and the water in a larger mixing bowl.  Add the melted butter to the sugar and water, mix with a whisk.  Once everything is incorporated you will want to add the egg one at a time.  You want the butter to be cooled enough that the eggs don't curdle when combined.  Then add the vanilla and mix once again.  Now I add my flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Whisk just until everything is combined. Now  place into your prepared pan.  The batter will be thick so I usually use an offset spatula in order to level the batter and make sure that the batter reaches each corner of the pan.  
Bake for 18 to 25 minutes.  My oven is spot on with the 18 minutes but temperatures of ovens do vary.  I always use the toothpick test method if I am unsure.
Cool completely before cutting. 


Variations:

Mocha flavor: 1 Tbsp. instant espresso (add with rest of dry ingredients)

Toffee brownies:  1 cup toffee bits (sprinkle on top of batter before baking)

No comments:

Post a Comment