Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I am not Betty Crocker

When I was younger I remember baking apple pies with my dad using the apple from the tree in the backyard.  It seemed that he had mastered the pie recipe from his go to cookbook, Betty Crocker, because it came out perfect every time.  The crust was buttery and flaky, the apples were a little soft and surrounded by the most amazing thick spiced sauce.

I remember one Christmas I got an Easy Bake oven, yes I was one lucky gal.  I made cakes and cookies every chance I had with that toy.  I call it a toy because the mix was stirred with water and cooked in a tiny pan by a light bulb.  They were tasty treats but not as great as the recipes that I attempt these days.

baked donuts, my newest obsession

These days, about 28 years later, I still have a passion for baking.  I like to cook dinner for my family but give me a recipe for a super rich dessert and I am in heaven. I am that person that will stay up till midnight making cupcakes from scratch and attempting some crazy decorations so that my kids will be proud to take them to class the next day.  I am that person that loves to ask someones favorite dessert and then make it with them in mind for their birthday or just to brighten their day.  Putting a smile on someones face by presenting them with food that I made is the best therapy that I could ever ask for. 
sugar cookie bars with strawberry butter cream icing

I am in no way trying to sound annoyingly perfect.  I make mistakes.  Just the other day I made a hazelnut coffee mousse and forgot the sugar!  Yes, the sugar.  I haven't eaten any of it but took some to work and my coworkers said that it was delicious.  I bet it would be amazing if I remember the sweetener.  

I wanted to start this blog as a resource for those that are always asking for recipes but I want to be clear that I am in no way an all natural, always from scratch kind of girl. I bake from my heart and sometimes from my cravings.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment