Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Tasty Morsels

Since it is summer my newest obsession is a no bake snack using dates.  Dates are sweet, sticky and delicious.  Combine dates with other ingredients in a food processor and you have the makings of a tasty morsel.
taking the pit out of the dates

I know that not everyone will have a food processor in their kitchen but I think that it is a great tool to have.  I have made cheesecakes with only my food processor before.  Granted in the middle of making a dessert a plastic piece broke off so my machine wouldn't lock in order to process but I have a live in handyman so crisis averted.  My food processor was less than $30 and has lasted me years.  Make sure that you don't get a mini so that it will be able to handle the volume of almost any dessert mixture.
mixture once processed

OK back to my recipe for these tasty morsels.  I guess their official title could be coconut, date, cashew balls but that doesn't really flow off the tongue.  Anyway these are delicious and I plan to keep these handy for my 3pm slump at work.  This would definitely satisfy that afternoon sweet craving.


Delectable Date Balls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Fridge time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves 12 (2 per person)

1 cup raw cashews
15 medjool dates (large with pits removed)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon (depending on how strongly you feel about the spice)
1/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Put all the above ingredients in the food processor and pulse until the dates are chopped and the mixture looks sticky like the photo above.  Take 1 Tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball.  Should make about 24 of them.  Refrigerate the balls for at least 1 1/2 hours until firm.  You may keep the balls in the fridge for up to one week (if they last that long).

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Making these tomorrow!! Excited for your beginnings on here!

    ReplyDelete