Monday, August 11, 2014

Barbara's Chicken

Sorry it has been so long since my last post but we were busy setting up the kids in separate rooms and then next thing I knew it was time for school to start.


I felt like over the past few weeks I have been cooking the same things over and over.  Most of my dinner were Tex Mex and I decided I needed to seek out some different recipes for the menu this week.  I had to do some digging to find this recipe card but I knew that this chicken needed to be made this week. This is one of the few recipes that I make and the kids will eat the mushrooms.  Not sure what makes the difference here but they eat every single bite!


What do I like about this recipe?
The flavor is wonderful
I like that the chicken breast is thinner but comes out moist and delicious
Onions and mushrooms are a great combination


I need to give credit to Jon's mom for this recipe.  We were in Fort Wayne visiting and she made this for a dinner one night.  I loved the flavor so much that I asked her to write down the recipe on an old fashioned recipe card. I have of course made some changes to her original recipe but not much. My changes were only for the fact that the ingredients below are what we are more likely to have on hand.

Barbara's Chicken

Adapted from a recipe by Jon's mom, Barbara Stedge
Serves: 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
4 chicken breast (thin boneless, approx. 1 lb)
1 Tablespoon butter
8 oz. sliced portabella mushrooms
1/2 small onion, rough chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup broth (chicken or veggie)
splash of red wine vinegar
*1 cup shredded mozzarella, optional
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
Season your chicken breast with salt and pepper.  Place your butter in a skillet on medium heat until melted. Swirl the pan to make sure the butter is distributed. Arrange the chicken in a single layer in the skillet and cook turning once until both sides are brown.  Spray your baking pan (I used a 1 1/2 quart ceramic baking dish) and place the chicken breast in a single layer in the pan.  Set aside while you prepare the rest of the dish.  Place the onions and the mushrooms in the same skillet that you cooked the chicken.  Add the garlic and a bit more salt/pepper to taste. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until the onions begin to soften.  Pour in your 1/2 cup broth, vinegar and cook a few more minutes to distribute the flavors.
Pour the mushroom and onion broth over the chicken.  Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

*If you plan to add the shredded mozzarella, take the pan out after 10 minutes, sprinkle the cheese, cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.

I always say to add salt to taste along with the pepper but to tell you the truth I hardly ever add salt to anything. We prefer to use pepper and other spices/seasonings.

Enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sarah! I love your blog! I need some kitchen advice: I have a 2 1/2 year old who used to eat everything, but is currently going through a picky stage. Any suggestions for dinners that might entice him back to the table? Also, I would love to hear how you meal plan for the week. I've recently started doing this, and it saves SO much time, but I struggle with. I'd love to hear how you repurpose ingredients from one night to the next. Your family is precious! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some kids go through grow spurts and eat differently. I think the main thing is to make sure that you offer a variety at every meal and make sure that you are continuing to offer healthy options. I made the mistake of giving my kids a dinner consisting of finger foods that were different from what I fixed for Jon and I. I am so lucky they are such good eaters now.
      I usually just use leftovers as my work lunch. I am not very good at maybe cooking chicken and using it for different recipes throughout the week. My main thing is to look at what we have going on after school/work and preparing our menu accordingly. I make a crockpot meal once a week. Breakfast for dinner is always fast and delicious.

      Delete