Friday, August 15, 2014

Roasted Cabbage

My new favorite vegetable side dish is cabbage.  I actually saw the idea on Pinterest and once I realized how cheap cabbage was in the produce department at the grocery I decided to give it a try. I figured since the boys like brussel sprouts that the taste wouldn't be much different.  Too my surprise the roasted cabbage was so much better than brussel sprouts. The biggest difference was.....

Sweetness!


When the cabbage was roasted the inner layers were soft and sweet while the outer layers had a bit of the caramelized crunch you get when you roast almost any vegetable.

Tonight I paired my cabbage slices with some mini meatloaf.  Gavin thanked me tonight for making his favorite dinner ever tonight.  I think for an 8 year old I am doing pretty good if he eats all of this.

You do need a bit of cook time so this isn't a last minute dish but it is delicious.


Roasted Cabbage Slices
Servings: 4-6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes

Ingredients
1 medium head cabbage
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.  Slice the cabbage into 6 slices. This should make each slice about 3/4-1 inch thick.  Line the cabbage slices in a single layer on the pan. Drizzle olive oil over the cabbage.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Bake for 40 minutes or until edges of cabbage begin to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment