Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Chocolate Gingersnaps

I have to say I have been obsessed with this recipe since I saw it posted by a friend on Facebook.  I will be forever grateful to Luanne Holladay for sharing this gem of a cookie with me. Most people associate Fall with pumpkin or chili but I start to crave a nice gingersnap when the weather gets cool and the leaves start to change.

First of all the fact that I hated gingersnaps as a kid is quite funny to me now.  I remember my dad used to by the Archway Gingersnaps on a Sunday and I would be tricked by their sugar sprinkled top.  The spice was too much for my tongue back in the day.

This cookie is perfectly soft and chewy.  With such a small amount of chocolate in the cookie it isn't too sweet.  The ginger and molasses give it a bit of a kick in the end that fills the palate with spice.

Please give this cookie a chance and you will find yourself craving these from time to time, I promise.

Chocolate Gingersnaps

Original recipe by Mollie Katzen
Makes: 36-48 cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 Tablespoons bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
(or use a 1oz square of unsweet chocolate)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner.  Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (I used a hand mixer).  Add melted chocolate and beat again until combined.  Add in molasses, egg, and vanilla and beat again.

Next you will start adding your dry ingredients.  Add the flour, baking soda, ginger and salt.  Now you will just stir to combine.  You don't want to beat the dry ingredients because it will make a tough dough.

Lightly flour your hands and roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. You should have only 12 cookies to a pan.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and let rest for a minute before moving the cookies to a cooling rack.  Cool completely before putting in a storage container.

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment