Monday, September 22, 2014

Easy Potato Soup

The weather has started to become cool and crisp so it is time to start making my favorite soups.  Last year I made soup almost once a week and would have enough leftover from dinner that I would take some for lunch.  I am excited to share my favorite soup recipes with you because they are warm, cozy and full of flavor.

My first soup of the Fall season happens to be the easiest.  This soup only has five ingredients and that includes the pepper.  I think the flavor of the soup starts with the bacon that is fried up in the pot.  If you don't want to add bacon since it is only used as a topping you can just start with the leeks.

I remember coming across this recipe a few years ago in a cookbook I bought called 5 Ingredient Fix by Claire Robinson.  I have searched for this recipe online but I haven't been able to find it so what I make now is just from memory with a few minor adjustments of my own.

Easy Potato Soup

Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:
  • 5 pieces of thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped
  • 2 large leeks, white and light green parts chopped and rinsed (or 3 medium)
  • 16 golden potatoes, cubed (about 1, 3lb bag)
  • 6 cups veggie broth
  • salt/pepper to taste


Cook bacon in a large stock pot until crisp.  Remove from pot and cool.  Drain excess grease from the pot. Add chopped/drained leeks to pot and cook on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes until soft.  Once the leeks begin to soften add the potatoes and vegetable broth.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low/medium and cook about 15-20 minutes until you are able to pierce the potatoes with a fork.
Remove the pot from the heat and ladle by the spoonful into a blender.  Blend until smooth.  I blend in batches and then return to the pot on the stove. (You can also use an emulsion blender for the same effect) Before serving top with crumbled bacon.

*Additional topping suggestions-sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, Sriracha.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment