Monday, September 1, 2014

Lasagna Rollups-Meatless Monday Style

Today I  switched my dinners around and decided that lasagna rolls would be a great end to the extended weekend and it would be a Meatless Monday.  This recipe is great because there are parts that the kids can help with during preparation and I like the fact that I can get them to eat spinach.  I have a love for homemade lasagna ever since I figured out how much tastier it is than the frozen kind.

I used to make my lasagna with italian sausage and mushroom but then a friend shared a wonderful mexican lasagna recipe where I even made my own sauce (mind blown).  I started looking for recipes that were lower in fat and that is how I found this gem.  I also thought that if the lasagna was made into rolls that I wouldn't eat too much.  I feel I need to put a disclaimer on this and say that I don't use fat free ingredients in this recipe.  I am a huge believer in full fat but in moderation and to each their own.

Even though these rolls have spinach in them, they are great when served with a large leafy salad with a light italian dressing.  Man my mouth is watering right now.


Lasagna Rollups

Adapted from here
Servings: 5

Ingredients:
10 lasagna noodles, cooked
24 oz jar prepared marinara sauce
10 oz bag fresh spinach, cooked and liquid removed
15 oz ricotta
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2 cloves garlic, minced
1  egg
salt, pepper to taste
1 cup shredded mozzarella


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray or grease a 1 1/2 - 2 quart baking dish.  I use my 1 1/2 quart ceramic baking dish because what you want is a smaller dish that isn't too deep.
Measure out 1 cup of the sauce and spread it evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.  Doing this will keep the rolls nice and moist.
Mix together the ricotta, parmesan, garlic and egg. Once those are mixed you can salt and pepper to taste. My family prefers more pepper and a tiny bit of salt.  Make sure that your spinach has been squeezed of any excess water and add to the ricotta mixture, stir until combined.
Lay out a piece of wax paper and lay one noodle down.  Place 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture at the end of the noodle that is closer to you and spread evenly up the noodle.  Roll up from the bottom and then place the noodle roll seam down in the dish.  Continue until all the ricotta and noodles have been used.  The noodle rolls will be snug in the dish and this will help them stay together during the baking process.
Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the top.  Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered.  Take the baking dish out of the oven and sprinkle the cup of mozzarella over the noodles.  Set the oven on broil just until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
I suggest letting the lasagna rolls rest at least 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment