Friday, November 7, 2014

Homemade Sloppy Joes

I want to start with the usual sorry that I haven't been posting much.  Life gets in the way of hobbies you know.  Second, I want to say that Skinnytaste.com is one of my favorite food sites and I have Laura Walter to thank for that.  Lastly I hope you enjoy this recipe because it is delicious, fully of veggies and family friendly.


This sloppy joe recipe might be the best that I have made yet.  I think I have now tried about 4 different sloppy joe recipes from crockpot recipes to italian sausage being added as the meat.  I need to keep this recipe in my rotation for sure.
Look at all those vegetables!

My kids didn't even realize that this recipe is full of vegetables.  I happen to have one of those food choppers so it didn't take much time to get the vegetables chopped into minced size pieces.  The picture I took for my dinner shows the mixture over one slice of toast with a slice of provolone.  I don't mind eating my sandwiches with a fork and knife.  Some might argue it isn't a sandwich unless it has two slices.  oh well.

Bonus! The same week we were able to eat the rest of the sloppy joes over some mac n' cheese.  Ty is now calling it Sloppy Cheese.

Sloppy Joes

Serves 6-8
Adapted from recipe found here

1 1/2 pounds turkey
1/2 Tablespoon season salt
1/2 Tablespoon steak seasoning
1 medium carrot minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red pepper, minced
4 oz portabella mushroom, minced
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
2 Tablespoon tomato paste

Brown the turkey in a skillet over medium heat adding the season salt and steak seasoning.  While the turkey is browning make sure you prep your veggies.  Finely chop or mince the carrot, garlic, mushroom and red pepper.  Once the turkey is browned add the vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the red wine vinegar and worcestershire.  Cook an additional two minutes.  Now you can add the tomato sauce and tomato paste.  Still to combine and cook on low for 5-10 minutes to warm through.
Serve on toasted bun or on a slice of toast.

Note: Toasting will prevent the bread from getting soggy too quick.

*Remember if you don't have items on the list you can improvise.  If you don't have red pepper, replace with any other color of bell pepper.  If you don't have the same seasoning for the turkey use what you have in your pantry. Just keep in mind that sloppy joes have a bold and tangy flavor.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment