Monday, January 5, 2015

One Pot Cabbage Dinner

It has been two months since my last post and I am going to start this out with yet another apology for being lame.  The thing is that I have enjoyed hanging out with the family and indulging in other things that I love to do such as read and crochet.  I found this amazing crochet pattern for an infinity scarf and have already made four scarves and plan for at least three more. It is hard to find time to fit in all of my hobbies.  The boys are getting more active and my classes are starting back up again.

Two little things have brought me back to this recipe a few times, I love cabbage and it is cheap.  One pot meals have always been attractive to me but the fact that my kids will have seconds will keep this on the menu list at least once a month.  This recipe is basically a deconstruction of stuffed cabbage.

The original recipe called for rice but we have grown fond of quinoa in this house so I made that small adjustment from the first recipe I found.  I hope that you try this at least once. I think that my recipe feeds quite a few people because I always have leftovers. I love eating leftovers at work for lunch and hearing people comment on how good it smells.  Easy and Delicious!

One Pot Cabbage Dinner

Original recipe can be found here     


Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (substitute turkey if you prefer)
1 cup chopped onion
1 small head cabbage (roughly chopped)
1 cup quinoa (add raw)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Saute the ground beef and onion over medium heat in a large (12 inch) oven proof skillet.  You want a nice deep skillet, preferably with a lid, so that you can cook everything together and then broil at the end.  Drain the grease from the meat if there is any and return to the stove.  Add the cabbage and cook just until it starts to wilt. Now add the quinoa, tomato sauce, water and diced tomatoes.  Stir until very well combined.  Put the lid on the skillet and simmer for about 20 minutes until the quinoa is cooked, stir occasionally.  Sprinkle the cup of cheese over the top and then broil (about 500 degrees) in the oven without the lid on the skillet just until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Note: Make sure you remember the pan was in the oven because i have grabbed a hot skillet handle too many times to count.

Enjoy!!!


1 comment: