Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chicken Burrito Bowls-Crockpot Style

I am always looking for an easy crock pot meal that my kids will enjoy.  I am one of those people that will make a weekly menu but one weekend we were out of town so I wasn't prepared on Monday for a family dinner.  On that Monday morning I was looking through the cabinets to see what I had available and so I threw in some ingredients that I thought would make a great rice bowl.

I seriously wasn't disappointed at dinner time when the kids asked for a second helping.  Keep in mind this is a make ahead meal because it cooks for 8+ hours on low in the crock pot.

Chicken Burrito Bowl-Crock Pot Style
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8+ hours
Serves: 6

Ingredients
1.5 lbs of chicken breast (approx. 2 large) fresh or frozen
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (15oz) black beans
1 packet taco seasoning, mild (or 1-2 T homemade seasoning)
1 cup water, optional *see note below


Rice: You will need 6 cups prepared rice
2 cups uncooked rice
3 1/2 cups water

Additional suggested toppings: Salsa, avocado, shredded cheese, peppers, onion and crushed corn tortilla chips.


Place the chicken breast in the crock pot, pour the diced tomatoes and black beans, water over the chicken breast (do not drain), sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top and give it a stir until combined.
Cook on low for 8+ hours until you can shred the chicken. You can cook for 4-6 hours if you chicken breasts are not frozen.   Use two forks and shred the chicken, give a stir and serve over rice.

*Note: The water is optional because with the first 4 ingredients you could have a thicker base more ideal for nachos.  Since I served this with rice, and I know my man likes his meals saucy, I added extra water.

This is really a base recipe and I suggest that people change it according to taste and budget.  This could be made with fresh and non canned items but be sure to add liquid so that the mixture doesn't burn in the crock pot.




                        Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment